Sunday, August 21, 2016

16.3 V Power Supply for Losmandy Gemini

My G-11 performs quite well and I am very happy with it, but I do note that despite careful balancing I occasionally get Dec or RA Heavy Tr warning messages.  I've read numerous times in the Gemini forum that these mounts are a bit under powered at 12-13 volts from a battery.  The Gemini system can take up to 18 volts, but most users seem to recommend 16 volts.  The Losmandy power supply provides ~ 15 volts from 110 V AC, but I prefer to operate my astro gear from battery power even in the observatory.

After scouring the internet I came across a regulated DC converter that increases ~ 12 volts to 16.3 volts and can handle up to 6 amps.  The device is sealed and is available on Amazon at a reasonable price.     Here is the back of the device.


Here is the front of the device.  I've used wire nuts to connect a 12 v accessory power plug (cigarette lighter plug) to the input wires.  To the converter outputs I've used wire nuts to connect the Gemini power plug with the 2.1 mm right angle plug.


When plugged into my battery, the output to the Gemini unit reads spot on the advertised 16.3 volts.


Here is the finished unit attached to the side of the pier with heavy duty Velcro.


I'll be curious to see if my G-11 performs any differently and if I get the RA or Dec Heavy Tr warning messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment