Sunday, November 8, 2015

2015 Deep South Regional Star Gaze

My wife and I have come to look forward each fall to our trip to the Deep South Regional Star Gaze at the Feliciana Retreat Center in Norwood, Louisiana.  This year the weather did not bode well.  We missed Tuesday night but, on Wednesday Nov 4 we packed up the RV and made the 1-1/2 hour drive up to the Feliciana Retreat Center.

Here is a shot of the Eastern side of the field.  My setup is at the right edge of the picture.


Here is my setup on the Southeastern corner of the field.  The tent works well to reduce the glow from my computer screen, which even at it's dimmest setting can be bright.  When I don't use the red screen filter, I drape black plastic around the tent.  {No, it wasn't foggy, just my camera lens fogging up from the high humidity.}


Here is our trailer.  Having it on the field just a short distance from my scope setup, is very convenient.  The site has electrical hookups for up to 4 camping trailers, but has no water or waste hookups.


 Here is a shot of the Western side of the field.

There were scopes of all descriptions from small refractors to large Dobsonians.  Here is one of the new Celestron Evolution 9-1/4" Schmidt-Cassegrain scopes.  I didn't get a chance to view through it but the owner seemed happy with it.


 A innovative binocular viewing chair ready for a night of observing.

As the sun set Wednesday night the skies were clear although it was very humid and warm.   My first challenge was identifying Polaris and other stars to align my mount.  Of course why we go to dark sites in the first place is that the darkness reveals many more stars than is visible in a more urban environment.  In my semi-urban backyard, my best Sky Quality Meter (SQM) reading is 18.65 which equates to visible star magnitude of 4.5.   After darkness set in, Barry Simon, DSRSG director, obtained a measurement of around 21.5 on his SQM or a visual star magnitude of 6.4.   This results in a HUGE increase in the number of visible stars  and can make identify constellations difficult.    I eventually got my bearings and built a model.

Some of my favorite targets are globular clusters and Mesiere 13 in Hercules is my favorite.   In my 11 mm eyepiece there were many discrete, bright stars resolved and a bright core.  In my 18 mm eyepiece the roundish shape of the cluster was better appreciated. 

The ring nebula, Mesiere 57, in Lyra is a bright planetary nebula.  In the 10" scope with my 11 mm eyepiece the image scale is very nice.  In my 6" Schmidt-Newtonian I frequently had to use averted vision to detect the shape, but in the 10" scope the nebula is easily seen directly.  I wasn't able to detect the faint (14.8 magnitude) central star. 

In going to Mesiere 31, the Andromeda galaxy, I found the gotos were off so I erased the model and rebuilt it.  I shifted targets to Mesiere 1, the Crab nebula.  It was easliy visible in the 30 mm eyepiece and the view in the 11 mm eyepiece was even better although there was no hint of the filament structure that I've seen with my Mallincam.

The 30 mm eyepiece provided a really nice view of NGC 884, the Double Cluster.  As 11 pm approached, Taurus and then Orion rose in the east.  As Mesiere 42, the great Orion nebula, cleared the trees I was rewarded with a wonderful view in my 30 mm eyepiece.  The extensiveness of the nebula was readily apparent and is an awesome sight.  In my 11 mm eyepiece some structural detail in nebula near the trapezium was gleaned.  This was easily the best visual observation I've had of M42 since I was able to view through a 24" Starmaster Dobsonian and Televue eyepiece at the 2013 DSRSG.

I shut down at 11:45 and headed to the trailer.  It had been a long day and I was tired.  Besides, clouds were gathering in the South West.


 Thursday was cloudy to partly cloudy early but cleared later in the day.  The hopeful congregating for the daily prize drawing on Thursday afternoon.  Some blue sky was visible by the 3 pm drawing.

The young lad, who's name I don't know, drew my wife's name on Thursday.  We won a Telvue 1-1/4" 2X barlow - a very nice prize.

On Thursday night we were hopeful to get in a few hours before the clouds rolled in.  I wanted to try out my Mallincam Extreme 2 which Rock Mallin had recently upgraded to a XT-418.  It took me a bit to get everything setup properly. I found that with the Mallincam 0.75X, 2" focal reducer, it pushed the focal plane back too far to achieve focus with the reworked camera.  I had to install a Baaader 2" spacer adapter that is around an inch thick.  In addition to the upgraded camera I had a new version of the Miloslick Mallincam control program to learn.   With the camera focused I found the mount's goto accuracy was poor so I deleted the model and built a new one.   I went to M57, the Ring nebula, as my first Deep Sky Object (DSO).  With AGC set to 4, I was able to get a nice image in 15 seconds.  Going up to 30 seconds revealed the 14.8 magnitude central star.   It was more readily seen on the monitor than in the image from the computer, but you can see it in the enlarged image.


I viewed a couple of other objects and then around 2030 as I was trying to capture NGC 147, a galaxy in Cassiopeia, , the clouds rolled in and the observing was over.  With rains and thunderstorms forecast for Friday and Saturday, my wife and I packed up and headed home Friday morning.   I enjoyed around 9 hours of observing time under clear, dark skies.  I also got to visit with several old friends that I hadn't seen since the last DSRSG.

On Friday afternoon I received the engineering drawings from Tuff Shed for my home observatory.  I noted a few issues with the plans that we need to resolve but I'm hopeful the observatory will be completed before Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment